Photo courtesy Tom LaBeau circa 1957-1960
|USS Strong (DD-758)
Sumner Class Destroyer
dp. 2,200; l 376'6"; b. 40'10"; dr. 14'5"; s. 34.2 k.; cpl. 345; a. 4'5",
12 40mm., 20 20mm., 2 dep., 5 21" tt.; cl. Allen M. Sumner)
The second Strong (DD-758) was laid down on 25 July 1943 by Bethlehem
Steel Corp. of San Francisco, Calif.; launched on 23 April 1944;
sponsored by Mrs. Hobart Olson; and commissioned on 8 March 1945,
Commander C.M. Howe in command.
Builder : Bethlehem Steel works in San Fransisco
Displacement: 2,200 tons (3,320 tons Full Load)
Length: 376.5 feet
Machinery: 4 Babcock & Wilcox boilers, two-shaft
G.E.C. geared turbines
Guns: Six 5 inch 38 caliber dual purpose
Complement: 274 (14 officers, 260 enlisted men)
Electronics: SQS-29 Hull-mounted Sonar, SPS-40 Search Radar, SPS-10 Search Radar
There were 32 ships which were extensively modernized under the FRAM II program. These were all Sumner class destroyers. Nw ASW torpedo launchers were installed as were facilities for operating ASW helicopters and variable depth sonar (VDS).
The machinery was overhauled, new electronic equipment installed, and living and working areas were rehabilitated.